At Native, we’re focused on making better-for-you products, and few things are better for you than protecting your skin from the sun’s damaging rays. After many requests from our customers – and our own team! – we set out to develop a Sunscreen collection with thoughtfully selected ingredients, and without the tradeoffs that are common to mineral sunscreens.
Our collection includes Face & Body Sunscreens in two scents: Coconut & Pineapple that smells like a summer breeze, and Unscented for those who prefer no scent at all. Our lab-tested SPF 30 level offers protection from 97% of the sun’s rays (SPF 50 products give you just 1% more in protection) while still allowing us to create a sheer formula. And don’t forget! Face sunscreen should be a staple year-round, even indoors, because that sunny window you love to sit next to is still letting UV rays through.
What is a mineral sunscreen?
It seems like everyone is talking about mineral sunscreen these days, but what is it anyway? Well, here’s the quick rundown: The FDA regulates sunscreen as an over-the-counter drug, and of the 16 approved UV filters, 2 are what are referred to as “physical” or “mineral” filters: Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide. All UV filters absorb UV rays, but mineral filters absorb and reflect UV rays – kind of like a jacket that’s both thick and wind breaking. Basically, it’s a win-win.
Why did we choose Zinc Oxide for our sunscreens?
Zinc Oxide is a top-notch broad-spectrum sun protector, so our product gives you effective, full spectrum UVA and UVB protection with just one active (many sunscreens require multiple actives to achieve full spectrum protection). It also delivers strong protection without annoying white streaks, so you can quickly apply, rub, and get on with your outdoor activities.
What makes Native sunscreen better you ask?
- It blends seamlessly. No white cast, no ghost face.
- It works for all skin tones. We tested our products across the 6 Fitzpatrick skin types to confirm that everyone could go streak-free. (The Fitzpatrick scale is a numerical scale that scientists and doctors use to estimate the response of different types of skin to ultraviolet (UV) light. It breaks all skin tones into 6 categories, ranging from very fair to deeply pigmented.)
- It’s easy to rub in. Even through arm, leg, and facial hair!
- It’s safe for sensitive skin. Our dermatologist-tested sunscreens were designed to be gentle.
- It’s made with thoughtfully selected ingredients. For example, our Zinc Oxide was hand-selected from 33 potential options for purity, efficacy, and transparency. Also, 97% of our formula is plant- or mineral-derived.
- It’s Hawaii compliant. We designed this sunscreen to comply with Hawaii’s new 2021 sunscreen regulations, which were enacted to protect Hawaii's marine environment (reef safe!) and ban the sale of over-the-counter sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate.
Summer is around the corner, so grab your Native Sunscreen and go get some rays!